baby registry

baby registry and baby gift suggestion & information

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

baby registry: Life Around The Bay

Diaper cakes

By:
De Anna SheffieldSt.

Petersburg, Florida — I've been to a few baby showers in my day. And it's pretty much the same. You head straight to the baby registry, find what's left to buy, have it gift-wrapped, or in my case, select an appropriately beautiful gift bag, that will likely be recycled, if not thrown away.

For St. Petersburg mom Deanne Wilson, who's seen her share of things that..well, she didn't/couldn't use at her own shower, she cooked up an idea, called 'Diaper Cakes'. No sugar added in these treats, but Wilson hopes the recipient will likely have something sweet to say, after looking at the ingredients. Each one is made up of..diapers, and a lot of other stuff.

Deanne Wilson, Dee's Diaper Deesigns
“Last month I probably used 2,000 diapers. I've done (a diaper cake) with 400 baby wipes, hooded towels, blankets, ear thermometer, bottles, bibs. I can get the items off the registry (to make one). ”
The cakes, some round, some square are made up of several tiers. It's a bakers secret how Wilson gets the tiny diapers to stay rolled up and perfectly stacked. Each one is decorated just so, depending on the theme or gender of baby. And the cake 'topper' is often a stuffed animal or toy. They look pretty, but Wilson says, they're practical too,

Deanne Wilson, Dee's Diaper Designs
“I remember when I was in the hospital, people spent so much money on flowers, I got so many flowers, I didn't enjoy them at all, I was so involved in taking care of her. (With the Diaper Cakes)..when you're desperate for a diaper you'll tear it apart. ”
For more information on pricing and delivery, visit www.deesdiaperdeesigns.com