baby registry

baby registry and baby gift suggestion & information

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

baby registry: Parenting 101: Your first pregnancy - A strange new world

By Kristi Hockemeyer 07/27/2006

When the clock struck midnight on Jan. 1, 2006, the last thing on my New Year's resolutions list would be to start a family.

I was a senior at Florida Gulf Coast University with less than 40 credit hours until I obtained my degree in Communications, with a focus in Public Relations. I just made a career change as managing editor from FGCU's school newspaper to freelance reporter for the Marco Island Sun Times. The change offered at least equal pay for a considerably less amount of time and stress.


But some unknown force had other plans for me.

By February, I had been burning the candle at both ends, school and workwise. I loved every second of it because the assignments were fascinating and it allowed me to interact with several different people I may have never bothered to think about talking to before. That's when I became "sick."

It was like I woke up one morning, just feeling extremely fatigued and nauseous. I forced myself to cut back on school and work, and hoped that I would feel a million times better by the end of the week. When the second week came about and there were no changes, I spent most of that free time doing nothing else but watching shows like TLC's "A Baby Story." I finally saw one too many episodes when I thought "Uh-oh" to myself.

Sure enough, there I was... 22 years old, and expecting my first son in late October.

My initial reaction was mixed, but for the most part, it felt surreal. It seemed hard to realize that I was carrying a human life inside of me.

The past six months have been quite a bumpy ride and I'm sure the uneasiness will continue as I tread into unfamiliar territory.

The pregnancy did leave me to alter my current life plans a little. I crammed as much coursework as I could at FGCU, and now I only have to complete four classes for my degree. However, with my baby due on Oct. 27, I felt it was best just to take one key course where I have friends who will help me through.

Until I could recover from the morning sickness, working wasn't much of an option for me. I'm happy to report, that in spite of the incredibly hot weather, I feel now decent enough to stare at a computer for hours and continue doing what I love the most: writing about information that is important to local residents.

There have been so many lessons learned within this period of time.

It took me three months of working on my baby registry. I ended up registering at Babies R Us, Target and Wal-Mart. To choose just one store was impossible! I spent hours at a time browsing the Web, debating the "Baby Snoopy" bedding offered at Babies R Us and Wal-Mart. Car seats? Don't even get me started - I'm still confused.

I'm now facing the biggest political debate of my lifetime: the custody battle of who will get to host my baby shower and where it will take place. I finally just wrote down an impromptu invitee list, handed to my mother and said, "Just tell me when and where to show up."

Perhaps the most important lesson I have learned is to never become pregnant in late February. The majority of my pregnancy is happening not only during the hottest time of the year, but also hurricane season. I've been studying the Weather Channel daily, crossing my fingers that I will not have to sit around in a non-air conditioned building for even one minute during this pregnancy. Just going from the outside of my house to my car kills me for the day.

The truth of the matter is that I'm not just unfamiliar with pregnancy, but Marco Island as well. I know Southwest Florida because I have lived in East Naples for the past 20 years. When you live in Naples, most people don't have much of a need to travel south to Marco or even north to Bonita.

The biggest question I found myself asking was, "Where do I go for what in the area?" I had to search for a great obstetrician (you don't want to settle for anything less than "great"), places to shop for baby supplies (both the practical and impractical), labor education, social benefits... yada, yada, yada.
At least as a Neapolitan, I know I have access to all the businesses I will need, but it made me wonder: "What do the pregnant women on Marco Island do?"

What medical services are offered on the island? Where are the best places to shop for baby/maternity needs? What are they doing to help keep themselves cool during this summer heat? How do they feel about driving all the way up to North Naples when it's time to deliver?

Most important, where do these expecting mothers (and don't forget fathers) turn to for emotional support?

I would like to begin exploring these important topics. Preparing for a new arrival is a very exciting, but hectic experience. Perhaps by sharing my ups and downs with the Marco Island community, I may be able to assist others who are trying to answer these same questions.

Kristi Hockemeyer welcomes all suggestions and comments from expecting and experienced Marco Island parents. Please feel free to contact her at marcoislandparent@yahoo.com to share your stories.


©Marco Island Sun Times 2006